Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Noosa National Park! The girls and I went on a bus trip to an amazing national park. Our guide said we had two hours to pretty much go wherever we wanted so we walked with Justin and Nicole down the mountain. Our first major sight was an amazing waterfall. Getting to the base of it proved to be quite a challenge since all the rocks were covered in wet moss and there were a few close calls on my part (I believe baby deer is how my climbing skills were described) but we eventually made it and took some amazing pictures. My camera died soon after and so I had to steal a few pictures from friends. After we had sufficiently explored the waterfall we continued back up the other side of the mountain which let me tell you is a lot more difficult then going down. Legs burning and completely roasting we came to "the swimming hole" which was 60 feet deep and filled with FREEZING water. Seeing a few 15 year old boys jumping from the cliff I thought "hey when else will I be in Australia jumping off a cliff" so Angelina and I hiked up the side and stood on the ledge terrified. You know when you are standing on the high dive at a pool and it looks like it is about 200 feet high but then you get down and see that it really isn't high at all? Yea well it's still scary! Determined not to chicken out, I ran full speed off the cliff (making sure to avoid the scary rocks mom and dad) and landed feet first into what seemed like a pool of ice. I really can't describe how cold it was... I have never been punched in the stomach before but I imagine that is how it would feel. Not only was my heart still racing from taking on such a leap but my body was starting to freeze so I swam to the side and made it out alive :) Angelina was next and her jump was just as epic. We were both so proud of ourselves! Yes it was scary but it was such a rush and worth it. The air felt about 100 degrees after that so we dried off and quickly went back to the bus. It turns out about eight of the students on our bus had accidentally went down the wrong path labeled "great walk"...why you would ever take the great walk is beyond me. Sixteen miles later they finally met back up with the group in horrible moods and starving. We all got lunch and then headed off to another park with lots of "strangled trees" It's really interesting how they get this way. A bird or some other animal drops a seed on top of the tree and it begins growing on the outside of the big tree until finally it strangles it and the inside tree dies leaving behind some really awesome looking trees. We also saw our first wallaby! I hope the pictures do it justice. Video of our cliff jump will be posted soon :)

No comments: