Friday, September 24, 2010

On our second day in Cairns we decided to walk around town. We came across a local market which sold every kind of fruit and vegetable imaginable! They also had a bunch of clothes and flowers for sale so walking around was pretty interesting. The next day we got up early for a day trip to Green Island. This was probably my favorite thing we did the whole trip. We took a huge boat out and were given snorkel gear and set loose on the island. It was so amazing and beautiful there I can't describe it. To walk around the entire island took around an hour. We snorkeled and saw beautiful coral, interesting fish, and I even saw a sea turtle which made my day. We were swimming in deeper water and all of a sudden a sea turtle swam right by! David and I were so excited and we took turns swimming behind it and touching his back, he was so content to just swim along and eat the sea grass. I could have swam and watched him for hours. We were given lunch on the boat which was an all you can eat buffet then we headed over to the pier to go on a "semi sub" tour which was a boat with the entire bottom made of glass. They took us into deeper water and threw food into the water so hundreds of fish came around the boat. The tour guide told us the reason most of the coral is a brownish color is that photographers bring strobe lights down with them that give the coral the illusion of being these bright and elaborate colors. While I did see a few yellow, red, blue, and green coral most of it was darker colors. The last hour on the island we swam by the posts of the dock so the fish were HUGE. It was such a fun day and something I will never forget!

No comments: