Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hello everyone! My apologies for waiting so long to write, school has been a little hectic since all of my "first assignments" were due around the same time. I have been getting good grades though which I am proud of. I am learning a ton about Australian culture, particularly the Indigenous people of Australia. The professor for my Intro to Indigenous People of Australia is very passionate about the subject and knows so much so I am learning a lot from her. For her class I have read a book called "Is That You Ruthie?". It is an amazing story of a young girl who is raised in a dormitory after being separated from her family into separate camps. Her story details the life of a dormitory girl and how hard it was for them to grow up under constant surveillance. What makes it even more fascinating are the pictures and letters she includes from the actual girls she writes about and grew up with. She now is married to her childhood sweetheart and has children of her own but her road to adulthood is quite tragic. It made for a quick and interesting read. I really encourage people to read it! I was able to skype for the first time with my entire family, it was kind of weird seeing my house and family :) I have started trying to plan trips which is proving to be kind of stressful but it is making me excited to start traveling more!

No comments: